ELECTRONICS ENGINEER with 10 years of experience specializing in the design and troubleshooting of ruggedized
circuits and systems for operation in harsh environments. A unique career equally spent in the lab and the field means
robust engineered solutions for demanding applications. Experience with circuit design, printed circuit board layout
(Altium), board troubleshooting, repair and bring-up, programming (C/C++, assembly, LabVIEW), automated test
equipment (ATE) design, author of technical publications, and advanced manufacturing troubleshooting means full life-cycle support. Quickly established as a technical leader in a variety of industries including bio-medical research,
advanced manufacturing, and off-road heavy equipment.
Northrop Grumman - Space Systems, Dulles, VA
May 2017 - Present
Principal Electrical Engineer
• Work with internal groups and external customers to design and develop electronic hardware to fulfill spacecraft, satellite, and payload testing requirements.
Stanley Black & Decker, East Longmeadow, MA
October 2013 - May 2018
• Managed working and attending classes (both full-time) for four years leading to successful completion of BSEE.
• Saved multi-million-dollar replacement cost of proprietary one-off machine control system by diagnosing and repairing to component level, including data recovery. Prepared redundancy options.
• Thousands of dollars saved by proper signal-level diagnosis of motors/motor drives and high-power controls which would have otherwise resulted in wrong components replaced.
• Reductions of downtime from days to hours by advising in-house engineering and technical staff on problems with new machine deliveries (ex.: improper grounding techniques causing low-level signal integrity issues).
• Mentored and trained techs on efficient electrical diagnostic techniques.
NBACC (National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center) /
USAMRIID (United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases)
Fort Detrick, MD
February 2008 – June 2011 / June 2011 – February 2016,
Sr. Research Associate Scientist (from Electronics Engineering Technician)
• Designed and deployed submersible electronic systems with high ingress protection (IP) ratings.
• Streamlined device characterization and research by designing automated test equipment (ATE).
• Developed novel methods of respiratory measurements, communication protocols, high throughput acquisition and datalogging systems, and control algorithms with LabVIEW and NI TestStand.
• Managed the successful Food and Drug Administration (FDA) validation of test systems.
• Developed and authored in-house calibration procedures for optical particle sizing instruments.
• Managed daily operations for BSL3 and BSL4 high containment cabinet labs.
Hirschmann Automation and Controls, Chambersburg, PA
November 2006 – February 2008
• Lead responsible for crane safety system software development based on crane geometries.
• Re-routed wireless transmitter circuit board in Altium to fit new enclosure design.
• Supported field service department with on-site calibrations and diagnostics.
• Developed control system test fixtures for software development and testing.
Qortek Inc., Williamsport, PA / Albuquerque, NM 87106
August 2003 – May 2006
Electronics Engineering Technician
• Board level circuit design and layout for military/aerospace contracts (8 layer).
• Low power design work, including battery chargers and mixed-mode switching power supplies.
• Prototype board assembly and bring-up. Enclosure design and assembly.
• Embedded processor, FPGA, and PC programming (TI, Xilinx, Atmel).
Extensive experience with electronic measurement and generation equipment (8+ years) including analog/digital oscilloscopes, DMMs, frequency generators, counters, and high current/voltage supplies, CAN, RS232 analyzers, etc. Logical component-level trouble-shooting skills.
Highly skilled at SMT and through-hole [de]soldering. Capable of hand-soldering 0402 and 0.020” leaded packages and performing complex PCB repairs. Clear and verbose reporting for analysis, repair, and reconditioning purposes. High mechanical aptitude, very hands-on, and extremely customer-focused.
Skillful in a variety of programming languages including C, JAVA, Assembly (Harvard & von Neumann embedded architectures), PHP, HTML, and LabView. Proficient with PC hardware and software. Very well versed in M.S. Office applications, operating systems (open and closed source), and the construction / diagnosis of PC’s and network infrastructures. Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer (2010).
Led several $1-2M design projects from start to finish (concept to schematic to production). Dozens of multi-layer PCBs designed and manufactured, with sizes from stamp-sized to rackmount chassis. Layers from 2 to 8, BGA and QFP package, edge card/contacts, and cPCI experience. Routing complexity from high pin count DSP/FPGA’s to analog circuitry and switching power supply design. Proficient in Altium Designer; experienced with OrCAD. IP68/NEMA 6/6P design.
AutoCad 2005-2017 experience for mechanical 2D/3D drawings. Comfortable with, and capable of, one-off prototype production by means of any/all shop tools, including CNC mills, lathes, band saws, grinders, plasma cutters, etc. Clean, efficient, and safety-conscious lab/shop worker. Never afraid to ‘get hands dirty’ to get the job done.
NFPA 70E arc-flash training, experienced.
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer (2010).
CPR / First Aid / AED training
Respirator (PAPR, N100) cleared, trained, experienced.